March 9, 2015 at 10:17 am
February 2, 2015 at 5:10 pm
In a new cover story interview with Rolling Stone, soulful crooner Sam Smith, 22, says he came out long before the album promotion for his Grammy nominated “In The Lonely Hour” CD. Smith, told the magazine that when he was just 13 years old he was asked point-blank by a classmate if he was gay.
“I turned ’round and I was just like, ‘Yeah,'” the Brit spilled. “And everything’s changed.”
The “Stay With Me” singer had teenage and young adult years full of love and lust — some unrequited and some regrettable.
“I had a lot of one-night stands,” Smith admitted. “I met a few dodgy friends, people I’m definitely not friends with now.”
“I fell in love with a straight guy last year, and he didn’t love me back,” he added. “I got trapped in my own mind.”
He wrote the boy a confessional love letter, and the object of his affection wrote back, explaining that he liked him as a friend but not romantically.
“It makes me emotional, actually,” Smith told Rolling Stone, looking back on his one-sided crush. “He looked out for me for the rest of school. He just made sure that if anyone took the piss out of me, he would stick up for me. He could have made it hell for me.”
While Smith’s classmate was sweet to him, others have not been as kind. The “Money On My Mind” singer recalled a time when another student lent him an eraser, but he washed it off when Smith returned it to him. “He was like, ‘I don’t want to share my eraser with a gay man,'” Smith explained.
Another time, Smith was walking with his father in his town when someone hurled a gay slur at him.
“I was just embarrassed that my dad had to see that, because I could only imagine how you feel as a parent,” he said. “You just want to kill them. I was always embarrassed for the people around me. It never actually deeply affected me. You just ignore it, you know?”
Smith’s worst and most recent encounter took place after he moved to London and was kicking off his career. He was walking down the city streets while wearing makeup and was attacked. “I got punched in my neck, just out of nowhere,” he said. “It wasn’t the easiest.”
Sam Smith’s smash “Stay With Me” helped him become the breakout male pop star of 2014, and with six Grammy nominations, he’s only gaining steam. Just a couple of years ago Smith was a barback in London’s financial district, eating customers’ leftover fish and chips for dinner. Now, he’s anxiously preparing to launch his first-ever arena tour after the smash success of his first CD.
Smith will be performing live at the 57th Annual Grammys Sunday, February 8 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
I’m attending the event as a special guest of Microsoft’s Lumia team and will provide special coverage of red-carpet fashions, the awards show and the after-event parties. Follow my Twitter feed and Instagram posts for exclusive content.
‘Spectre’ – In Theaters Nov 6 Twentieth Century Fox
Ted Nguyen & Denise Richards
- Playboy Photos Expose Beverly Hills Housewife Camille Grammer’s Real Assets posted on December 31, 2012
- Kim Kardashian Playboy Pics The Gift That Keeps on Giving posted on January 1, 2013
- Amanda Seyfried Exposes The Naked Truth In ‘Deep Throat’ Bio Pic posted on April 29, 2013
- Shahs Of Sunset Star Mercedes “MJ” Javid Soaks Up The Sun & Suds In Beverly Hills posted on February 6, 2013
- Former Miss Teen America Kari Ann Peniche Weds Fiance In San Diego posted on February 17, 2011
- Top Chef’s Padma Lakshmi: No Regrets Over Nude Photos posted on April 15, 2011
- Marie Osmond Remarries First Husband Stephen Craig In Vegas posted on May 4, 2011
- Supermodel Stephanie Seymour & Son Frolick On Beach In Amorous Pixs! posted on January 7, 2011
- Heidi Montag- Oops My Boob Fell Out posted on September 14, 2010
- Billionaire Heir Jason Davis Busted One Day After Celebrity Rehab Reunion posted on January 29, 2011
- ‘In Plain Sight’ Star Nichole Hiltz Arrested For Child Neglect posted on May 31, 2011
- Kari Ann Peniche Former Playboy Model & Miss Teen America Back in Rehab posted on September 10, 2010
- Stars That Wear Fur: The Ugly Fashion Of Beautiful People posted on March 16, 2013
- Shannon Tweed Is Done With Gene’s ‘Family Jewels’ – Walks Off Set posted on June 15, 2011
- Real Housewife Camille Grammer’s Steamy-Soft Core Past! posted on January 8, 2011
- The Cruel Truth Of Chinese Factory Workers Abuse Of 50 Million Angora Rabbits Annually posted on December 10, 2013
- Vietnam’s Dirty Little Secret: Hell On Earth For Dogs And The Barbaric Dog Meat Industry posted on November 13, 2014
- Sister Of Madonna’s Ex-Manager Caresse Henry Says Singer Betrayed Her And Blames Kabballah For Her Suicide posted on April 26, 2011
- New Taylor Swift: ‘Back To December’ posted on January 31, 2011
- Shadow Trade The Price Of Loyalty: Exposing The Truth Behind The Illegal Dog Meat Trade in Thailand & Vietnam posted on February 6, 2013
- Kelsey Grammer’s Secret Life: Lingerie & High Heels posted on January 17, 2011
- Kim Kardashian Channels Cleopatra In The New Harper’s Bazaar posted on February 9, 2011
- Real Housewife Star Dr Paul Nassif Sues Ex-Wife Adrienne Maloof’s Chef Over Abuse Allegations posted on February 4, 2013
- Celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsey: Hell To Pay As Mother-In-Law Sues posted on May 16, 2011
- World Premiere: Rihanna – ‘Pour It Up’ posted on October 28, 2013
- Paula Abdul: “I’ve Never Been Drunk In My Life” posted on January 2, 2011
- Pop star Y Lan completes refugee journey by singing U.S. national anthem at San Diego Padres baseball game posted on August 21, 2011
- Premiere: Justin Bieber ‘What Do You Mean’ posted on August 31, 2015
- Real Housewives Of Orange County Before They Were Famous posted on May 1, 2011
- New Domestic Violence Photos Of Rihanna’s Beating From Chris Brown Surface posted on February 24, 2011